“Pray for surf!”
A common phrase heard from surfers during summer flat spells….
Especially here in South Florida.
While summertime surf trips can relieve some of the pressure, there’s something else to keep in mind:
Be ready when surf season starts
As you can see from the swell consistency chart above, we are currently well into the summer flat season.
But things start trending up in August and we almost always have fun surf by September/October.
If you’re not in surf shape already, now is the time to get ready to surf, not when the surf starts.
(Ideally, we’re in great shape year-round…but no judging, life happens)
By being in great physical condition when the season starts you’ll hit the ground running instead of sucking wind for a few weeks until you get your cardio back.
Here are a few tips:
- Increase your weekly training intensity
- If you’ve got a nagging injury, go see a specialist or work on your maintenance programs
- Do a thorough review of all your surf gear to find gaps that need to be filled
- Get dings repaired
- Order new boards or dial in your winter quiver
- Outline a strategy of what you want to work on or accomplish this season